Barfoot and Thompson Royal Oak was first constructed in the 1800's. CDM were tasked with developing a design to accommodate a modern real estate office, whilst retaining the exterior heritage status as is so well known in the Royal Oak area.
CDM undertook preliminary design work to find an interior layout that suited the clients needs, at the same time designing a suitable structure to retain the buildings exterior envelope. Heritage planning and reports were completed, along with Building and resource consents. The building was ultimately suspended on scaffolding while the whole interior of the building removed and a new structure re-built on the interior pinning the old exterior walls to the new interior structure. Upon the completion of the new internal structure, the exterior of the building was completely sanded and restored, replacing any broken or damaged sections with identical replacements custom manufactured items.